(Abidjan, February 11, 2021) - Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire signed a partnership with the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development through the Ivorian Anti-Pollution Center (CIAPOL) and the Directorate of Green Economy and Corporate Social Responsibility of (DEVRSO).
Quality, health and the environment are priorities at Nestlé.Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire stands in its eco-responsibility through the production process. The company has various ISO certifications including ISO 9001 for quality management, ISO 14001 for environmental management and ISO 22000 for product safety. Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire was also awarded with the Eco-Citizen company Excellence Award.
The company’s mission is to enhance its work on the recovery of plastic waste through its “All are Responsible for Plastic Waste Management” program.In line with the global vision of the Nestlé Group, the goal is to achieve 100% reusable or recyclable packaging by 2025.
Since 2019, Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire has initiated and implemented three projects:
- The "In my town, I sort my plastic" initiative, organized under the PLASTOCK project. Here citizens can send sorted plastic to recycling bins in the districts of Abidjan.
- "At the market I sort my plastic". Plastic waste is collected and recycled in five markets in Abidjan along with awareness creation on the need to be more environmentally conscious
- The “Street collectors” collaboration with Envipur, where plastic waste is collected in the streets.
With the National Waste Management Agency (ANAGED), Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire is pursuing its ambition to collaborate with public institutions in order to ensure discerned and effective actions.
Nestlé Côte d'Ivoire also signed a partnership agreement with CIAPOL and DEVRSO. It covers the following areas:
- Implementation of the project through the establishment of collection and pilot recovery systems;
- The evaluation of these collection and recovery systems;
- Analysis of the relevance and viability of economic models for the recovery of waste collected
The objective is to advocate for a circular economy and expanded social responsibility of organizations in Côte d’Ivoire. This is the second institutional partnership signed with an Ivorian Ministry of State, and it reflects Nestlé's desire to assume its leadership as a company focused on the circular economy and sustainable development.
“We want to play our full leadership role by setting an example for other companies to join us in mobilizing and finding innovative solutions to environmental challenges”, says Thomas Caso, Managing Director of Nestlé Côte d’Ivoire.
With the support of CIAPOL and DEVRSO, the company intends to strengthen the economic models and ‘green jobs’ resulting from its three projects.
It is worth nothing that Nestlé Côte d’Ivoire has achieved its goal of zero waste in its factories thanks to its collaboration with CIAPOL.